Geno Church from Brains on Fire wrote an awesome post asking a critical question: Has word of mouth marketing lost its wow? (link)
I don’t think so. We’ll stay special as long as people like Geno are out there fighting for the idea that word of mouth marketing is something special.
Ignore all the talk about WOM as a “media channel” or buying conversations. True WOM is not a media buy. Talking about buying people is offensive. You can’t buy a recommendation — you earn it.
There is nothing else like word of mouth marketing.
1. It’s is the only kind of marketing based on earning love and respect.
2. WOM only works for great companies that make great stuff and provide great service.
3. WOM only works for good marketers. Traditional advertising continues as long as you pay for it, even if it sucks. WOM only spreads if it’s genuinely fantastic.
4. WOM is honest and true. Word of mouth holds you to the highest ethical standards. Liars and cheaters always get busted.
5. The good guys win. Word of mouth rewards those who deserve it.