Interesting quotes from Netflix CEO Reed Hastings:
Like every company, we try to hire well.
But, unlike many companies, we practice “adequate performance gets a generous severance package.”
We’re a team, not a family.
We’re like a pro sports team, not a kid’s recreational team. Coaches’ job at every level of Netflix to hire, develop and cut smartly, so we have stars in every position.
The Keeper Test managers use:
“Which of my people, if they told me they were leaving in two months for a similar job at a peer company, would I fight hard to keep at Netflix?“
This should be deeply uncomfortable for a lot of people. Questions it raises:
- Would I make it at a company like Netflix?
- Is this why some startups make it big?
- Is this why most people at average companies feel like they are surrounded by Dilberts?
- Would I want to work at a company like this?
- Would I want to run a company like this?
What do you think?
(Original presentation below. Start at slide 25.)