We all get bad reviews. No matter how hard you try, you’re going to screw up a job every so often.
So what do you do?
- Respond to the review. Don’t just let the bad review sit there. Most review sites now let you comment on the review.
- Stay cool. Just explain what happened and tell your story.
- Apologize. Even if you’re not wrong. Take the high road and say you’re sorry.
- Don’t fight. Do not attack the customer, blame them, or get into a he-said, she-said. You will look like an asshole.
- Write for the future, not the reviewer. It’s not important that you convince the bad reviewer to change their mind. That would be nice, but it’s not the point — especially if you have an unreasonable, angry, or crazy reviewer. Your goal is to write for every future reader of the post. You want them to understand that you tried, you’re sorry, and you’re a reasonable company that means well.