The newsletter started in 2001 (88 issues so far), the blog is a recent addition. I’m a HUGE fan of opt in, 100% clean, permission-based email newsletters. There is nothing more viral, nothing that gets more word of mouth.
They work really well together.
13 reasons why blogs and email newsletters work great together
- Give readers a choice. Some people like blogs, some like email, some like RSS.
- Emails are an reminder. The arrival of a message triggers action and sends people to the blog.
- It’s easier to read email on a blackberry.
- Blogs enable conversation, emails don’t. Repost the email to your blog so people can comment.
- Emails are timed by the sender. It’s read when you send it.
- Blogs are timed by the reader. They read at their leisure.
- Blogs are the perfect email archive.
- Emails tell you who is reading, opening, clicking.
- Blogs tell you when people are engaged through comments and links.
- Emails are viral. They forward incredibly quickly and easily.
- Blogs spread virally through search, social bookmarking, and community sites.
- Email (should be) brief.
- Blogs (can be) deep.
Add your ideas! Post a comment below…